A loud political journey across western Kenya turned tense on Friday, February 20, 2026, when a truck belonging to the Linda Mwananchi campaign was attacked and hit with stones while travelling through Kisumu County.
The truck was carrying a powerful sound system and campaign materials as part of a grassroots tour organised by a group of leaders inside the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM).
The vehicle had been donated to help improve rallies after organisers struggled with poor sound at earlier events.
As the convoy made its way toward Kakamega County, where a big rally is planned for Saturday, February 21, people nearby pelted the truck with stones.
The windscreen was cracked, but no one was seriously hurt. Despite the shock, the team kept going toward its destination.
When news of the stoning spread, Siaya Governor James Orengo spoke strongly at a press briefing. He accused members of the government of trying to scare away supporters and stop the rallies.
Orengo used powerful language, calling the movement a “tsunami” that no one could stop. He said that even if opponents tried to block their events, the people’s movement would go on.
Orengo said this campaign is about giving voice to ordinary citizens and standing up for justice and fairness.
He pointed to recent disruptions in other parts of the country, like Kitengela, where a rally was broken up by police actions, and said each time the team pushed forward anyway.
The Linda Mwananchi group includes politicians such as Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna, Embakasi East MP Babu Owino, and others who want change in the direction of their party and the country.
Orengo stressed that their push for rallies is not about stopping at one place but spreading their message to many towns and counties.
Despite rising tensions and moments of disruption, the team insists the Kakamega rally will go ahead as planned this weekend.
Supporters have been urged to come out in large numbers to show strength and support for the movement’s goals.
Whether this political journey will unfold peacefully or face more challenges remains to be seen. But for now, Orengo’s message is clear: the movement will not back down, and the people’s voice will keep moving forward.
Post a Comment